We've all been there.
Maybe you start the week off strong and by mid-week the motivation to go workout drops. Or maybe it's freezing cold, or rainy, and curling up on the couch with a blanket and Netflix sounds sooo much better!
Before you decide that today's not the day to workout, try these 5 tips to get you motivated when you really don't feel like it!
5 TIPS TO GET YOU MOTIVATED TO WORKOUT:
1. PUMP UP THE PLAYLIST! Music is EVERYTHING!! Either build or find an awesome workout playlist full of upbeat songs that get you pumped up. If you need help finding great playlists, check out my spotify public playlists (Michelle Porter/ michelleporter3).
2. STEP UP YOUR WORKOUT GEAR. Pick out and put on a workout outfit that you love. If your workout clothes don't excite you, pick out a few new pieces tht you love! Just like that power suit or an awesome back to school outfit, new workout gear that you're excited to wear will motivate you to get dressed for your workout (which is half the battle, sometimes!).
3. JUST GO TO THE GYM AND DO 10 MINUTES OF YOUR WORKOUT. The hardest part is always walking through the door. If you're not feeling like it, just go to the gym or your fitness class and do 10 minutes of your workout and see how you feel. You can always leave but chances are you'l finish what you started and feel better for it!
4. CALL YOUR WORKOUT BUDDY OR DO A GROUP CLASS. My gym experience completely changed when I found group classes and workout buddies that I looked forward to seeing each day! When I was super stressed at work, my hour with them was always the best part of my day!
Whether it's Crossfit, Soul Cycle, Barre, Barry's Bootcamp, Yoga, or whatever fitness classes make you happy, find a studio that feels like home, with fitness classes you enjoy, instructors you love, and classmates that you are excited to see!
If you go to a globo-gym, find a crew of workout buddies to meet regularly for workouts and hold you accountable.
5. DRINK WATER & HAVE A PRE-WORKOUT SNACK. When we're drousy or lethargic, a lot of times it's because we're dehydrated so drink 16 ounces of water and see if some fluids make you feel better.
Also try a little pre-workout fuel to get you going. Some of my favorite pre-workout snacks are:
- 1/2 scoop whey protein powder and 1/2 gala apple.
- 1/2 scoop vanilla or chocolate whey protein mixed in 6 oz. of coffee
- 2 oz. of chicken and raw veggies
IF YOU'RE STILL FEELING LIKE TODAY JUST ISN'T YOUR DAY...
It's perfectly OKAY and sometimes necessary to skip a workout every now and then.
Our bodies need rest and recovery to repair. One day off isn't going to make or break your fitness routine, so if you need to, rest up and hop back into your routine tomorrow.