Can starting your day off with ginger lemon water help you lose weight?
Should you start your day drinking this concoction?
(You can still have your morning coffee too!)
Both ginger and lemon are well known for their health benefits and therapuetic properties dating back to ancient Aruveydic medicine.
While I personally find the practice of Aruveyda interesting, I also need science to back up the theory, especially regarding fitness and nutrition.
WHAT SCIENCE SAYS
Science says that lemons have the following health benefits:
- Full of Vitamin C, an essential nutrient that helps regulate the intensines and bowels.
- Vitamin C also helps protect the body against immune system deficiencies.
- Lemons help balance and maintain the pH levels in the body.
- Lemon juice helps flush out toxins.
Science says ginger has the following health benefits:
- Ginger can help aid digestion and relieve nausea.
- Ginger may relieve muscle pain and soreness.
- Has anti-inflammatory properties.
- Ginger helps with chronic indigestion.
- Ginger may lower cholesterol levels.
BUT...DOES HOT LEMON GINGER WATER HELP YOU LOSE WEIGHT?
While there are so many health benefits to drinking hot lemon ginger water daily, this drink alone will not help you lose weight.
Regarding weight loss, hot lemon ginger water will help hydrate and promote bowel waste production and transit (which is important for weight loss).
In order to achieve weight loss though, you need to have a deficit in calorie intake versus calories burned. This means that you need to eat less calories than your body burns a day so that your body will burn the fat that it is storing.
To lose one pound of fat, your body needs to burn 3500 calories. The best way to do this is through proper nutrition and regular exercise.
To learn more about weight loss, how to eat to lose fat, and to get 7 full days of meal plans, check out the 7 Day Lean Lifestyle Nutrition Plan.